Re: --enable-gtk-doc

Raja R Harinath <harinath cs umn edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:
>
> [snip]
> > In fact, since 'make distcheck' actually runs 'make dist'
> > inside the new tarball, it might break make distcheck,
> > since --enable-gtk-doc is required for 'make dist'
>
> I'm not upto speed on the Makefile's now, but why is this so?
> I looked at the dist rule, and there was nothing special there that
> seems to require gtk-doc.
>
> The only problem I could see is that a maintainer build with
> --disable-gtk-doc wouldn't have generated any of the files.  Why is
> 'dist' being penalized for that?  If the maintainer couldn't build the
> docs, the docs won't be in the tarball.   If you're worried about
> distcheck, it's better to make the install rules more tolerant.

Well, the reason we require it is:

 - We don't check the SGML/HTML files into CVS, so if you check
   out and make dist, the dist rule won't work.

 - We don't want to distribute HTML files that are out
   of date with respect to the sources.

We could make the 'make dist' rules work without gtk-doc, but the
expense of that would be making it easier for us to create messed
up tarballs, and I'm not sure there is any real benefit.

=====
#
# Require gtk-doc when making dist
#
if ENABLE_GTK_DOC
dist-check-gtkdoc:
else
dist-check-gtkdoc:
	@echo "*** gtk-doc must be installed and enabled in order to make dist"
	@false
endif

dist-hook: dist-check-gtkdoc dist-hook-local
	mkdir $(distdir)/tmpl
	mkdir $(distdir)/sgml
	mkdir $(distdir)/html
	-cp $(srcdir)/tmpl/*.sgml $(distdir)/tmpl
	-cp $(srcdir)/sgml/*.sgml $(distdir)/sgml
	cp $(srcdir)/html/index.sgml $(distdir)/html
	-cp $(srcdir)/html/*.html $(srcdir)/html/*.css $(distdir)/html

	images=$(HTML_IMAGES) ;    	      \
	for i in $$images ; do		      \
	  cp $(srcdir)/$$i $(distdir)/html ;  \
	done