Re: gdk_pixbuf and comments ?

Tim Janik <timj gtk org> writes:

> On 6 Aug 2001, Sven Neumann wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:
> >
> > > I think one way we discussed doing this was similar to the properties
> > > passed to gdk_pixbuf_save() - there would be loader-specific named
> > > fields you could retrieve from images.
> > >
> > > Something like:
> > >  gchar *comment = gdk_pixbuf_get_extra_field (pixbuf, "comment");
> > >
> > > Then it's a bit more extensible. That seems a bit lame though, we may
> > > have had the details hashed out a bit better in the past.
> >
> > I would prefer a cleaner API, but I wouldn't object to this solution. We
> > could then define a small set of common property names for standard
> > stuff like comment, gamma, resolution as we do in GIMP for parasites.
> > I'll have a look at the gdk-pixbuf-save() implementation...
>
> i'd agree that just supporting comments feels cleaner.
> in general, one can't set different types of parasites on images,
> so i find an API indicating so misleading.

Resolution? Modification time? (png supports both) Image formats can
support a lot of different things - while text properties aren't a
nice clean API, they are very extensible for this type of thing.

(Note that properties can be stored in object data, so there
is no reason to add extra fields to the pixbuf structure,
which is frequently used for pixbufs not created from files
at all.)