Re: GtkNotebook

On 5 Aug 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:

> James Henstridge <james daa com au> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Padraig O'Briain wrote:
> >
> > > Are there signals I can listen to which will tell me when a page is inserted or
> > > removed from a GtkNotebook?
> >
> > Just a guess, but the "add" and "remove" signals (from GtkContainer)
> > probably do what you want.
>
> They don't actually work, because all addition and removal doesn't go
> through them.
>
> There is currently no reliable way of getting notification on the list
> of children for a container. [*]
>
> I wonder if we should add something along the lines g_object_notify
> (container, "children') to gtk_widget_set_parent() /
> gtk_widget_unparent().

we need to have a ::children property on containers then,
and what type should that have? (since we haven't wrapped
GList in the type system, we could just use GValueArray which
is somewhat overkill).
a better idea might be a ::n_children property, however,
that would cost an int in GtkContainer and count composites as well.

> Regards,
>                                         Owen
>
> [*] Yes, you could install a signal-snooper on parent-set.
>     This is not something you are going to catch me recommending.

sheesh, shut up, don't tell people how to bomb themselves! ;)

---
ciaoTJ