Re: making a GtkNotebook tab insensitive - omission?

Tim Janik wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Bill Haneman wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have just realized (please correct me if I am wrong) that
> > GtkNotebook does not allow for making a tab insensitive (i.e. 'greyed
> > out' and temporarily non-selectable), unless one manually alters the
> > tab label, and consumes the switch_page signal as appropriate.
> >
> > Seems like something one would expect API for.
> >
> > ? any use in my submitting a patch for this ?  It would constitute an
> > API addition, rather than a change to existing interfaces...
>
> what would happen if the current page is to be insensitivized (is that
> a valid word in english? ;), would the notebook automatically switch
> to another page (if present) or also make the page contents insensitive?

Good question.  My suggestion would be, if the current page is made
'insensitive' no page switch would result, but the content widget
would also have its state changed to 'insensitive'.

I think an option, if we think an API addition is too late or
unwarranted, would be to change gtk_notebook_switch_page (or maybe
gtk_notebook_page_select, I haven't threaded my way through all of it
yet) so that it checks to see if the requested page's tab widget is
sensitive (if displayed) before emitting the signal... that would at
least mean that the behavior of the notebook tabs was consistent with
their visuals.  This would probably be a pretty small patch, unless
I'm missing something obvious.

-Bill

--
Bill Haneman