Re: Sort indicators for columns in GtkTreeView

Darin Adler <darin eazel com> writes:

> Both Evolution and Nautilus display arrows to indicate sort direction in the
> sorted column in their list views. (Using ETable in Evolution and a munged
> GtkCList in Nautilus.)
>
> Is there some support for this in GtkTreeView? If so, is there a good way to
> make this themeable? In my opinion, it's not appropriate to draw the
> scroll-bar arrow in here (which is what ETable does), because I think of
> this as a sort-direction indicator, not a special kind of "arrow". But
> leaving my personal biases aside, what's the plan here for GtkTreeView?

(Answering the easy question first)

Currently the arrow is a GtkArrow with GTK_SHADOW_IN set for the shadow
type.  You can theme this currently like:

style "sort-indicator" {
      bg[NORMAL]="#FF0000"
}

widget_class "*.GtkTreeView.GtkButton.GtkHBox.GtkArrow" style "sort-indicator"

In theory you can also have a theme engine handle the drawing.  This is
a little ugly, and perhaps we should just go to drawing the arrow
ourselves and pass in a detail, but it works.

Thanks,
-Jonathan