Re: GNOME CVS: glib martin

otaylor fresnel labs redhat com writes:

> gnomecvs cvs gnome org (Gnome CVS User) writes:
>
> > CVSROOT:	/cvs/gnome
> > Module name:	glib
> > Changes by:	martin	00/09/29 18:18:56
> >
> > Modified files:
> > 	.              : ChangeLog configure.in Makefile.am
> >
> > Log message:
> > 2000-09-30  Martin Baulig  <baulig suse de>
> >
> > * configure.in (HAVE_THREADS): New automake conditional.
> > * Makefile.am (SUBDIRS): Only compile the gthread subdirectory if we
> > actually have threads.
>
> Please don't commit this sort of stuff without asking first; this
> was all set up to work the way it does for GLib-1.2 after much
> discussion.
>
> Could you please mail gtk-devel-list, CC'ing Sebastian Wilhelmi
> <wilhelmi ira uka de> and explain exactly what you changed and
> why?

I'm sorry about this.

Well, it seemed very logical to me that if either the OS doesn't have any
thread support of if the user disabled thread support with --disable-threads
then it makes no sense to compile the gthread library.

The automake conditional disables the gthread directory from being built if
either

a) "$have_threads" is "none" after all the thread checks - in this case the
   OS doesn't have any thread support
b) "$want_threads" is "no" - in this case the user manually disabled thread
   support for some reason which should be honored.

AM_CONDITIONAL(HAVE_THREADS, test "x$have_threads" != xnone && test "x$want_threads" != xno)

If we do not want to disable the gthread directory even if there's no thread
support at all on the system for some reason, we should at least do it if the
user specified --disable-threads to avoid that it breaks compilation on a
system (such as Tru64 for instance) where this simply doesn't work.

Again, sorry for not asking first.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)