RE: gdk and vnc server/viewer at 16 bpp weirdness

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Erik wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>

> > On 10-Sep-2000 Vlad Harchev wrote:
> > >  Hi,
> > >
> > >  Have anybody used vnc server for X (running at 16 bpp, commandline option
> > > '-depth 16') viewed with vncviewer (for any platform) running at 16 bpp too
> > > (same commandline switch). I tried rather lot of combinations of vnc
> > > server for X/(viewer,platform) and on all of them images that are displayed
> > > using gdk (probably using imlib, but I can be wrong) are displayed
> > > totally incorrectly - some junk (looking like white noise + color) without
> > > any
> > > similarity to the original images. It's not a bug in vnc software since qt
> > > and
> > > motif apps look fine at showing pictures (netscape, kview). It seems there is
> > > a nasty bug in gdk. More information: gcolorsel shows right colors, only
> > > areas that were drawn by copying pixmap are broken (root window's image,
> > > enlightnement's decorations, and (if pixmap theme is selected) every gtk
> > > widget. I've tried various versions of Xvnc (including most recent 3.3.3r1)
> > > and vncviewer for X and Windows - both show the same. I used gtk-1.2.6 on
> > > RH6.2 on x86.
> > >
> > >  I've attached screenshot of gpanel. The current gtk theme is SatinBlack, so
> > > everything should be dark shades of gray on the shot, but it looks like some
> > > noise (though gradients are seen).
> > >
> > >  Have anybody reported anything?
> > >
> > >  Best regards,
> > >   -Vlad
> >
> > I've had no problems with vnc (16b or otherwise) doing gtk stuff. I've only
> > used windows (95, 98, NT4, 2000) for clients, but I've used it on redhat(6.0?),
> > debian, and fbsd without ill effects :/ Might want to check that you're using
> > the same encoding on both sides?
>
>[..]
>  So I cc'd to Raster.

 Whose email address is not valid.

 There is a year-old thread on gnome-list (with no useful content except a
large screenshot) starting at
http://mail.gnome.org/pipermail/gnome-list/1999-October/033881.html
 (screenshot is in next message).

 Best regards,