Re: [patch] Add 2nd scrollwheel scrolling

Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:

> egger suse de writes:
>
> > On 29 Oct, Owen Taylor wrote:
> >
> > > In that branch, scrolling is translated into a separate event type,
> > > which includes a value of the enumeration:
> >
> > > I don't know if all places that handle GDK_EVENT_SCROLL currently
> > > handle all four directions. If so, doing the equivalent of your patch
> > > should be about 2 lines.
> >
> >  It would be nice if Gtk+ could handle scrolling nicely automatically
> >  without having to use a hack like Imwheel.
>
> It does, even in GTK+-1.2. (Not perfectly, but decently.)

The biggest beef I have with the GTK wheel handling is that the use of
button4 & button5 as the wheel events is hardcoded in gtkmain.c:

      if ((grab_widget == event_widget) &&
	  (event->button.button == 4 || event->button.button == 5))

And this fails for people that have complicated mice where it would be
better to have buttons 1-5 be 'real' buttons and 6-7 be the wheel.

-bp