Re: GLib headers

On 26 Oct 2000, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Sebastian Wilhelmi <wilhelmi ira uka de> writes:
>
> > > want to see reverted, that is:
> > >
> > >         * gmacros.h: Added G_BEGIN_DECLS and G_END_DECLS to mean: 'in case
> > >         of C++: extern "C" { ... }' analogous to glibc __BEGIN_DECLS and
> > >         __END_DECLS.
> > >
> > > we decided against that for glib and gtk+ pretty early on after GNOME
> > > introduced their pendants macros.
> >
> > Oh, what a shame. Was there some specific reason? I mean, it looks much better
> > and all GLib-dependend header files could save some trouble. Furthermore also
> > glibc has such macros, so they can't be evil right away. (But I don't want to
> > bother you too much. Just shout at me to shut up and I will).
>
> None that I recall... (I don't even recall the discussion)

we discussed that back when gnome introduced them and someone like miguel or
elliot asked for moving them to glib. sorry, dunno the exact medium/forum
anymore either.

> > Still another problem is unsolved:
>
> > Owen wants to have all header files in a subdir glib. The best way to achieve
> > that would be to move (almost) all *.h,v and *.c,v files from /cvs/glib to
> > /cvs/glib/glib (also the gthread, gmodule, gobject subdirs) on the cvs server.
> > That would make the glib-structure akin to that of gtk, as such would keep all
> > *.c files in the same dir as the corresponding *.h files and would save the
> > history for us. I can not do it, as I can't login to cvs.gnome.org (only via
> > cvs). So it's obviously up to one of the red hatters to do it.
>
> I can do it - however, I don't want to go ahead with this until there
> is some agreement that we actually want to do it.
>
> What I had suggested was simply to move the split-up .h files into
> a subdir; this is obviously a less major change. But Sebastian
> is right that it would make a lot of sense to move the .c files
> to so we have one library per-directory, and the .c files in
> the same place as the .h files.
>
> What do you think Tim?

1) only move header files with their .c files, i hate source tree
layouts where e.g. prototypes of one and the same function are kept
in different directories.
2) what's the reasoning behind moving gobject/gmodule/etc into a
glib/ subdir as well? i think just having
glib/glib/gmessage.[hc] and friends
glib/gobject/gsignal.[hc] and friends
glib/gmodule/gmodule-os2.[hc] and friends
etc.
makes most sense.
don't move glib/ChangeLog btw, i'd still want that to apply to
glib/glib and glib/* general stuff.

> (I'd of course do it by copying the files and then cvs removing
> them from their old location so we could still check out old
> branches of GLib)

right.

> Regards,
>                                         Owen