Re: simplifying closures

Hi,

So to summarize succintly what I just argued in more detail:

 - I'm claiming that making closures a general-purpose feature for C
   programmers is the only possible motivation for features such as
   multiple user data, multiple connections, etc.; these features
   aren't needed for language bindings.

 - we haven't actually mapped out when C programmers are going to
   use these features, how they will use them, etc. i.e.
   we seem to be starting with an implementation and not
   by outlining the use cases and the API that would be convenient in
   those cases.

I'd like to start over on the closure thing, and from an
end-programmer perspective, see convincing evidence that someone will
use these features.

Also, the GClosure object and API seem low level and difficult to
understand if it's supposed to be an end-programmer API. Invalidity
notification vs. destroy notification, adding multiple data by
creating a derived struct, etc. is pretty intimidating stuff.  People
don't understand the existing signal_connect() variants.

Havoc