Re: GNU-Pth and GLIB

whether threads are user or kernel space is irrelivant, most systems use
a mixture of the two, pthreads have been implemented in both fully user
mode and kernel mode on different systems. the question is what APIs are
going to be availible? a GNU-Pth implementation would be useful only if
there were a system which supported the GNU-Pth API but not pthreads or
sun-threads, i dont think any exist because why use the GNU-Pth library
when you can just use an userspace pthreads library (of which several
exist, see *BSD)? or if none exist then a better task would be to wrap a
pthreads API around GNU-Pth because then glib is automatically supported
and anyone wanting to write pthreads apps with no native support win
too.

	John

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 01:07:16PM -0400, Wolfgang Sourdeau wrote:
> > Jonas Bulow <jonas bulow servicefactory se> writes:
> >
> > > Would it be of interest to have native GNU-Pth as a thread
> > > implementation besides POSIX and Solaris?
> > >
> > > Has anyone done any work on this?
> >
> > A patch would probably be accepted - though I think GNU-Pth is
> > basically uninteresting. User space threads are just not ever going to
> > be as good as native threads, and basically all interesting platforms
> > now have native threads.
>
> If I recall, linuxthreads aren't kernel threads either. It's is based
> on clone()'ing and stuff like that. Not a thread expert though.

John Meacham   http://repetae.net/~john/   john repetae net
California Institute of Technology, Alum.  john foo net