[Fwd: glib::GList:g_list_append(), g_list_last() performance problem]

Hi Gnomes,

As supplementary info, m'colleague indicates that this performance problem also exists in glib-1.2.8

Am I sending this to the right place now ? Still no answer from "the other place"
gnu gnu org

Bye,

--

        Andrew Bartle

        Wavetek Wandel Goltermann - Communications Test Solutions
        Förrlibuckstrasse 62 / Postfach 74
        CH - 8037, Zurich,
        Switzerland

        Tel   +41 1 355 66 78
        Fax   +41 1 355 66 12
        e-mail andrew bartle stest ch

        http://www.stest.com
        http://www.wwgsolutions.com

--- Begin Message --- Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to send this, but there's no reference to glib bug tracking in the glib manual.

We use glib version 1.2. GList's and have found functions g_list_append() and g_list_last() to be very slow for large lists. Performance degrades geometrically
with the length of the list. This is indicative of traversal of the entire list to get to the end before an insert can be made. An improvement to the algorithm is to maintain a pointer to the last element in the list. This I do in my wrapper for GLists.

Do you have a version where you implement and hide this performance improvement ?

        Andrew Bartle

        Wavetek Wandel Goltermann - Communications Test Solutions
        Förrlibuckstrasse 62 / Postfach 74
        CH - 8037, Zurich,
        Switzerland

        Tel   +41 1 355 66 78