Menus that don't follow the mouse

I'm probably directing this to the wrong area, especially if gtk already
does this, but my biggest gripe with gtk+ (and hence gnome) is that the
menus follow the mouse cursor.  This is incredibly annoying, especially on
a laptop with a touch-cursor or a joystick.  It would be nice to have a
setting in GTK to control this behavior.  I personally would like to set
my gtk apps so the menu is selected with a click, and refrains from moving
the selection until either I move it with the cursor, or click on the item
I wish to see.  Holding the mouse button down would allow a revertion to
the old behavior, and act exactly like it does now (which makes it
mac-like).

Is this already a possibility in gtk 1.2.x, or upcoming gtk releases?

Michael