Re: GTK+ test suite

Owen,

Thanks for the reply.

> > Some of the areas to be tested will include:
> > - completeness of header files
>
> Hmmm, I'm not sure what this means quite...

I was thinking of a kind of sanity check that
- the header files are present
- the prototypes are present and correct
  eg, call a prototyped function and check that it
  compiles OK
- similar for other declarations

> > - ability to create all standard (non-deprecated) widgets;
> >   check default properties are set correctly;
> >   get and set standard properties;
> >   receive expected callbacks; etc
>
> So the idea here is to drive the widgets via their introspectable
> interface? Certainly quite a bit of testing can be done this way,
> though it probably will be as much testing the glue between the
> property system and the core itself.

We're probably more interested in having specific test
cases, and comparing expected and actual results, but
we're certainly open to suggestions on what would be most
useful.

[snip]

> Can you provide some more details on TET - I was unable to find
> out anything useful from the web page without registering to
> download.
>
> In particular:
>
>  - What are the details of the license? (The Open Group has a
>    history of being unable to get its act together on open
>    license...)

Artistic License - do you want me to forward it?

>  - What platforms does it run on? I saw mention on the web site
>    of Win32 and Java...

The README.FIRST states:
	This is an UNSUPPORTED	source release.
	Please note that TET3.3 does not include support
	for Microsoft Windows NT, Windows 95 or Java - that support
	is only included in the supported TETware releases.

The Open Group prefers to have users register before
downloading the free TET.

Do you think all this makes TET unsuitable for this project?

TET provides alot of convenience functions and control
for test suites, but it would be possible to write it
without TET.

Thanks,

- Dermot

Dermot McCluskey - Sun Microsystems, Ireland - Desktop Test