^W in GTK apps

I'm trying to track down why when I use ^W in GTK apps, it erases two
words, so that I might be able to send in a patch or something, but it
appears the code path is a bit convoluted. I'm not sure where to report
bugs, but maybe someone here could make some suggestions as to how to
go about fixing it, take up the cause, or explain how the word erasure
algorithm works.

Anything to go on would help.

Thanks,
Bill
--
<pan2:#math> when i was a kid i behaved like a polynomial