file selector (was Re: Multihead support for GTK)

Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> el día 02 Nov 2000 19:59:42 -0500,
escribió:

>"Sergio A. Kessler" <sak tribctas gba gov ar> writes:
>
>> there will be no changes in the file-selector arena ?
>> (because it seems that averybody and their pets have implemented
>> new file-selector dialogs)
>
>I think its clear that the file selection needs major improvements,
>and a lot of people are working on that. But because there are several
>projects underway, and because the changes needed are big, it doesn't
>seem very feasible to get major changes into GTK+-2.0.
>
>Not only do we need to decide on one particular visual design,
>we need to make sure that the API and the code conform to
>GTK+ standards and test it thoroughly; this is quite a bit of
>work.
>
>In fact, in terms of the API, we probably will want to leave the
>old file selector around (GtkFileSelection, while creating new
>widgets, say, GtkFileChooser, GtkFileChooserDialog.)
>
>The reason for this is while the official GtkFileSelection
>interface is fairly small and clean, people access the internals
>of GtkFileSelection extensively, and any changes to even
>such trivial things as how GtkFileSelection is laid out will
>break these programs.
>
>(look, for example, at the file selection in the GIMP)
>
>I don't think it will be a problem to add a new file selector
>after 2.0 without breaking compatibilty, and we should
>get it right rather than rushing it.
>
>Regards,
>                                        Owen
>
>[ No decision on this matter has been made by the GTK+ team
>  yet, I'm just giving my personal view of the situation. ]

wich seems very sensible and correct to me ...

btw, currently in gnome-libs, there are a general selector widget,
with specific instances as file-selector, color-selector and so on

maybe (and just maybe) the new GtkFileChooser can be _based_ on this
ones ... (if gnome guys agree, mainly martin who code that)