XID table and win32

Am I mistaken or do all windows simply leak on Win32 when they are
destroyed? - I'm wondering because it seems that the XID table holds a
reference to the window, the same way as in X11. But the only time
that a window is removed from the XID table is in
gdk_window_destroy_notify(), which will never be called on Win32, as
far as I can see.

It doesn't seem that the XID table should hold a reference to the
window at all on Win32.

The reason for this complexity in X11 is the asynchronous
client/server nature of the setup. After you call XDestroyWindow() you
can still continue getting events for that window until you
get the DestroyNotify for that window. I don't imagine that this
can happen on Win32.