Re: Framebuffer port of GTK/GDK !!

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 04:06:55PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> "Shawn T . Amundson" <amundson@eventloop.com> writes:
> > On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 09:16:53AM -0800, ArcadePreserv Center wrote:
> > >
> > > Am I right, when I assume that this will make it possible to run GTK
> > > programs, like Gimp without X ?
> >
> > GIMP can already run without X on at least 2 platforms, so the answer
> > to that is yes.
> >

> However BeOS and Windows both have windowing systems to use I would
> think, for straight framebuffer you have to write a simple windowing
> system. A windowing system suitable for a kiosk-style app is probably
> pretty trivial, possibly much easier than one suitable for desktop
> apps.
>
> Havoc

The Nano-X stuff (MicroWindows) already has a simple window manager and
from what others have said seems most likely to get used.  FLTK is already
ported there so it's even proven it can be done. ;-)

-Shawn

--
Shawn T. Amundson                       amundson@eventloop.com
Research and Development                http://www.eventloop.com/

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking