Re: Highspeed pixmaps ?!?

Hi,

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Arndt Schwaiger wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have to scroll a very large scenario in a drawing area.
> The scenario is created by many pixmaps squares (32 x 32 pixels) every
> 0.3 seconds.
> Its like a game scrolling routine. I must really copy all squares every
> 0.3 seconds, because a changing of all square graphics in only one frame
> is possible ! After creating the background, I put "sprites" over it.
> I am using double buffering.Its really like an old amiga game scrolling
> routine.
> My problem is now, that this takes too much time even on very fast
> computers.
> Is it possible to use perhaps something like OpenGL under gtk or gtk--
> in a drawing area widget to solve my speed problem ? Is it possible with

Yes, it is possible to use OpenGL with GTK+ see GtkGLArea at
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~jlof/gtkglarea/

> OpenGL to copy only 2d graphics very fast in a gtk drawing area ?

OpenGL has 2d graphics functions like glDrawPixels and glCopyPixels for
copying 2d pixmaps. Unfortunately they are often not optimized for
speed (vendors like to concentrate optimization efforts on 3D features.)

> Is it possible to use OpenGL only for my drawing area widget and all
> other things like toplevel-window, menus, toolbars etc. can be unchanged

Yes, with GtkGLArea this is possible.

> ?? Or is there any other possibility to copy pixmaps or other formats
> like color bitmaps very fast on a gtk drawing area ??

GNOME Canvas maybe?