Modifiers

I've seen that Gtk uses the numbered modifiers (mod1... mod5) through their
numbers, by example in GtkItemFactory. But there is no recomanded way to
bind those modifiers to smeantical values. By example, on a standard Linux
box, mod2 is bound to Num_lock, but on a pretty normal Solaris Sparc,
Num_lock is hold by mod3.

I've heard that the correct way to handle these modifiers is to look at the
keysyms bound to them (this method, and this concept of unnamed modifers is
quite stupid, I think...). I've no precize references at this time (except
the full O'Reilly books (1 and 5), but I can look for.

I think it's the role of toolkit (here, Gdk), to handle the maping Keysym
<-> numbered modifier. And I think that the X toolkit does that.