Re: default widgets misbehaviour

Tim Janik wrote:

> so what i intend to change with gtk+ 1.3 is:
> a) reset the focus widget when dialogs are shown, if the focus widget
>    is can_default and focus_widget != default_widget.
>    alternatively, we can also completely unset the focus widget when
>    hiding dialogs, i don't have a strong opinion on this one, comments
>    are apprechiated

It sounds sensible to me but why not make it an option with the default
as you describe above. I'm sure that someone, sometime will want to
retain the focus.

> b) we'll keep the last activated default widget as default widget as long
>    as the dialog is visible (this is the key to having more than one
>    default widget making sense)
>    [this is going to affect property-edit style dialogs only, that supply
>    default widgets which do not also hide a dialog]

Personally, I think that a default widget is a default widget :-).
Having two default widgets doesn't make sense to me. The current
behaviour where the default focus is moved when a non-default button is
focused and the default focus is restored when something other than a
button gets the focus seems correct from a usability point of view.

This is my opinion - I'm sure I could live with a change like this i.e.
only make one widget default anyway.

> c) making a widget insensitive will instantly remove their has_default state

As long as it's restored when it is re-sensitised.

Cheers, Matt.

--
Matt Goodall             |  Isotek Electronics Ltd
email: mgg@isotek.co.uk  |  Claro House, Servia Road