Re: Inlining pixbufs

Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com> writes:

> We need an equivalent to 'convertrgb' in gnome-libs/tools in order to
> inline our stock icons, and since convertrgb is crufty and this is a
> generally useful feature, I wrote a new program to handle it. The
> program gets installed, so other people can use it.
[snip]

I like Tim's idea of using RLE for application-specific stocks and
uncompressed data for shareable stuff that goes in gnome-libs and
friends.

>  - we create a program image-to-inline that loads image files and
>    can create a file full of C variable declarations

Can we just #include them somewhere?  The idea of generating a big
file with a bunch of inline images always kind of scared me.

>  - gdk-pixbuf.h now contains gdk_pixbuf_new_from_inline() that
>    reads the stuff image-to-inline outputs.

I'd prefer it if this function used gdk_pixbuf_new_from_data()
internally instead of creating the GdkPixbuf structure by hand.  Other
than that, it looks good to me.

Also, if you feel like playing with GdkPixbuf stuff, could you please
implement Tim's idea for the last_unref handler?  We do need that
before gdk-pixbuf can go 1.0, and Nautilus needs it.

Thanks,

  Federico