basic GTKCList data manipulation

first off I guess I should mention I'm new to this list and fairly primitive in
my gtk experience, so I don't know whether I'm missing something obvious or if
this kind of question is asked more often then it should be, but I've been
looking for and answer for serveral days and would like to move on.

The general form of my question is, how do you know which row is selected? The
two most obvious answers would be a) You ask the list or b) You wait for the
list to tell you and remeber.

My problem with answer a) is that I couldn't find a function that returned what
row I had selected and I couldn't get b) to work cause the function I had to
modify the struct I had to keep track of selected row would lose the change
after exit, i.e. the scope was messed up and I can't figure out the
pointers/references I need to keep the change.

Ultimately, all I want to do is be able to insert before and after the
selected row and deleted it (not and unreasonable request) so if someone could
send a few lines of code that created a list with a few random entries and a
button the removed the selected row, I think I could take it from their. I've
got a methods to try, but the seem really convoluted and I think I'd run into
the same problems I've been having with b). It shouldn't be too hard, I
wouldn't think.

Thanks,
	Najati