Version numbering

After some discussion between Tim, myself, and others, we've decided
that the next version of GTK+ will be numbered 2.0 instead of 1.4.
(We actually had never quite decided before, but we've been using
"1.4" most of that time.)

The reason for this is simple - the release will contain many major
enhancements - among others:

 - Ports to multiple windowing systems
 - GObject system moving to GLib and considerably extended
 - Pango, providing unicode support, and suppoprt for bidirectional and complex text
 - GDK drawing enhancements (32-bit coordinates, backing store)
 - New text widget

These are much bigger enhancements than the change from 1.0 to 1.2
(which was cleanup, DND, themes, and a few new widgets.) We don't
expect to be making such a major release again for quite a while.

If the addition of ports to multiple architectures was the reason for
calling Linux 2.0 Linux 2.0, then we have that and much more besides
for GTK+-2.0.

So, if you hear us say "2.0", don't wonder why you missed the 1.4 release.