Re: Anti-aliased font support library ready

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 04:54:05PM +0200, Paul Sheer wrote:
> These are application independent --- it should be trivial to
> add this into Gtk.

and replace X font rendering with pixmap copies in the process no
doubt. I imagine this kills remote X apps, but might be viable for a
app + server on the same machine (which is what most of us do most of
the time these days I guess). Has anyone tried to do this?

I suppose a possible solution is to back off to normal X font
rendering for remote apps, but them you've got all the hassles of
having to make sure that the two renderers give the same results etc
etc. And making sure you've got the same fonts at the Xserver and the
app end. Argh.

ISTR something about one of the gtk developers trying this and giving
up on it as unworkable? Owen?

I guess the 'right place' for this stuff is in the Xserver, with a new
set of X extensions to go with it. Isn't someone in the Xfree86 crowd
working on this?

more questions than answers...

Phil

--