Re: Multiple Displays

"Nikhil Bhavadas K." <nijbhav@md5.vsnl.net.in> writes:

> This is a novice's question. Does GDK support multiple displays? Is there any
> way to initialize GDK for all displays I have connected to? Or, do I have to
> use low level Xlib functions?
> Now that imlib has been cast away, one may not use imlib-Xlib and I don't know
> whether gdk-pixbuf has support for multiple displays.

GDK does not support multiple displays. gdk-pixbuf, however, is
almost independent of GDK. If you combine gdk-pixbuf with something
like XlibRGB from mozilla, you should be able to use images
on multiple displays fine.

> One can understand the need for moving to gdk_pixbuf, but imlib had
> this advantage of providing an easier interface to Xlib with many of
> Xlib's advantages kept intact.

(I can't imagine how imlib was an easier interface to Xlib. The
stuff that imlib/gdk-pixbuf do is very different from the stuff
that Xlib does.)