[volunteers] small LGPL project

> Also, Pango's COPYING file contains the LGPL 2, while the README
> says the license is LGPL 2.1 (the Library or Lesser GPL 2.1).

which reminds me.

the glib and gtk+ sources currently contain (in most places at least):

[...]
 * This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public
 * License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
 * version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
 * Library General Public License for more details.
 *
 * You should have received a copy of the GNU Library General Public
 * License along with this library; if not, write to the
 * Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
 * Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
 */

/*
 * Modified by the GTK+ Team and others 1997-1999.  See the AUTHORS
 * file for a list of people on the GTK+ Team.  See the ChangeLog
 * files for a list of changes.  These files are distributed with
 * GTK+ at ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/.
 */
[...]

this needs to be changed to:

[...]
 * This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
 * License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
 * version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
 * Lesser General Public License for more details.
 *
 * You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General
 * Public License along with this library; if not, write to the
 * Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330,
 * Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
 */

/* Modified by the GTK+ Team and others 1997-2000.  See the AUTHORS
 * file for a list of people on the GTK+ Team.  See the ChangeLog
 * files for a list of changes.  These files are distributed with
 * GTK+ at ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/.
 */
[...]

i.e. Library GPL -> Lesser GPL and s/1997-1999/1997-2000/

this has to be changed somewhen before the 2.0 release. if some kind
soul would volunteer for this task and send a patch agains cvs HEAD,
that'd greatly be apprechiated.

in case someone actually tackles this issue:
- take it as a perl contest challenge, some files are formatted more
  equally than others ;)
- please provide a patch *only* covering the license issue, i don't want
  to dig into CList or GtkSpinButton code upon review
- send it to me privately, i doubt the majority of gtk-devel will want to
  review a multiple thousand lines licensing patch
- do a cvs diff -u, i don't have the apropriate set of glasses to read
  non-unified diffs
- if you are unsure about how to patch a file, maybe 'cause it's currently
  lacking a license or whatever, simply compile a list of those files
  so we can fix them later. this is _way_ easier than backing out
  patch portions
- duplicate work, that is, if you receive reliable information your
  neighbour is starting out on this, try to beat him time-wise ;)
- if you're too lazy for this undertaking, take a private minute and
  giggle at me for being naive enough to try to find a volunteer

---
ciaoTJ