Re: Parallel installs

On 14 Jul 2000, Owen Taylor wrote:

[...]
>  - RC files - from themes, system-wide, and from the user
>  - Modules and theme engines
     ^^^^^^^
these aren't handled with versioning at all yet ;(

in general the changes don't look too bad to me, however, on the
consistency side, for some things you did
  gtk.xx  -> gtk-2.0.xx
  gtk.xx  -> gtk_2_0.xx
  gtk+.xx -> gtk2.0.xx

especially, why did you skip the '+' on some files??

also, looking at configure.in now, we now have:

[...]
gdktargetlib=libgdk-x11-1.3.la
gtktargetlib=libgtk-x11-1.3.la
[...]
  GLIB_LIBS="$glib_dir/libglib-1.3.la $glib_dir/gmodule/libgmodule-1.3.la"
[...]
  gdktargetlib="libgdk-linux-fb-1.3.la"
  gtktargetlib="libgtk-linux-fb-1.3.la"

etc, probably making their way through otehr files (makefiles?) as well.
that is completely unacceptable, i went through great length to hard-code
the version number in really _one_ place only, that is:

GTK_MAJOR_VERSION=1
GTK_MINOR_VERSION=3
GTK_MICRO_VERSION=1
GTK_INTERFACE_AGE=0
GTK_BINARY_AGE=0
GTK_VERSION=$GTK_MAJOR_VERSION.$GTK_MINOR_VERSION.$GTK_MICRO_VERSION

and that has to stay that way.

>                                          Owen

---
ciaoTJ