Re: Gtk{Tree,List} replacement proposal

Tim Janik <timj@gtk.org> writes:
> why is all the view's stuff private? that disables derivation,
> pretty unaccaptable for a widget as often used and tweaked as
> list/tree views.

This isn't really true - perhaps all the members are "private" rather
than "protected" to use the C++ terms. You can still derive, you just
can't poke in private details.

(I would say, if it's public it should just be because that's the GTK
convention, the derivation argument is wrong unless the fields are
logically "protected" rather than "private." There are a number of
fields I can think of in my text widget stuff for example that are
utterly impossible to use or to use safely from a derived class.)

Havoc