Re: Second draft (was Re: defs files)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Karl Nelson wrote:

> > I agree. Whether a particular signal has an emit function or not is
> > not really the business of the language binding.
>
> The business of the language wrapper is should it provide a
> function to be equivalent to gtk_signal_emit_by_name(o,"foo",blah)
> or is there already one.
>
> Please don't tell me that all signals are private.  I
> translated the gtk+ tutorial and have looked over testgtk+.  Every
> time we have assumed that some signal shouldn't be emitted directly
> from application code we find another case where it is.

i told you on the GObject thread already. the only signals that language
bindings or widget users are allowed to emit are GTK_RUN_ACTION signals.
if you see code emitting a signal that is not GTK_RUN_ACTION, there are
two possibilities:

1) there's a bug in gtk, it should flag the signal as RUN_ACTION
2) there's a bug in the code you encountered, and it shouldn't
   emit the signal

both cases are bugs and need to be reported.

---
ciaoTJ