Gdk vs. XCloseDisplay

Hi *,

I got a question regarding gtk_main namely how to get progress reports from
a subprocess displayed.

Of course the answer is to use the input facility of gtk which works quite
well. But you need to call _exit from the child process instead of just
exiting. I don't think this should be regarded as a clean solution.

For me this is a bug in GTK. The GDK code registers a function using
atexit which calls XCloseDisplay. Of course this is also called from
the child which leads to the problem.

I think glib should have a wrapper for fork to handle such cases so
you just call g_fork and the gui stuff is only deinitialized in the parent.

Opinions?

    Torsten

--
Torsten Landschoff           Bluehorn@IRC               <torsten@debian.org>
           Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Committee Member