Re: GtkPaned vs. GtkBox

Can I suggest an alternate design?  Rather than trying to
turn a box into a paned, we could just create a special
type of separater.  This would be a PanedSeparator.  You
could place in inside any Box and thus change the widgets
on either side to act like panes.  Thus if you want to have
a paned set up like say xfontsel, you make a Vbox with a menubar,
then a button bar, a PanedSeparator, a label, a PanedSeparator,
then a drawing area.

      -------------------
     | Menu              |
     +-------------------+
     | Buttons           |
     +-----------------O-+  PanedSeparator
     | Label             |
     +-----------------O-+  PanedSeparator
     | Drawing area      |

This would give the same effect as creating a mult-paned which
you desire and remove the need to a special Paned with 2 areas.
(Could be made backwards compatible with some wrapping code.)

(It would be really cool if the PanedSeparator could be made
to work with tables as well, but not necessary.)

What do you think?

--Karl