Re: Scroll events [ Was Re: Unidentified subject! ]

Owen Taylor <otaylor@redhat.com> writes:

> Guillaume Laurent <glaurent@worldnet.fr> writes:
>
> > Owen Taylor <otaylor@redhat.com> writes:
> >
> > > But it is probably close enough that I can go ahead and apply it
> > > without another iteration. Let me know if you have any objections
> > > to the above changes.
> >
> > I'm confused : isn't GTK+ already supporting mouse-wheel events since
> > v1.2 ?
>
> Yes it does. What Anders's patch does is add a separate GDK_SCROLL
> event instead of just passing through the button 4/5 hack from
> X.
>
> This has a number of advantages:
>
>  - Propagation of scroll events is improved since widgets that listen
>    for button press events won't trap them.
>
>  - We can support XInput devices that actually have more than 3 buttons.
>
>  - Platforms like Win32 where scroll events are separate don't need
>    to turn them into button events.
>
> It's just, in general, cleaner.

I've now applied this patch, so if anybody with a scroll mouse wants
to try out the 1.3 branch (I wouldn't advise installing it, but you
can test it out it in place) and make sure that the scroll mouse still
works fine, that would be useful.

I've tested it out with a remapped normal mouse, but that may expose
all behaviors.