Re: Event System

Dan Rosen <dr@cs.brown.edu> writes:

> I'm not sure if this is appropriate for this particular mailing list, but
> I know I'm reaching the right audience:

Hmm, gtk-list is probably better, but it's OK here.

> I'm looking for a rather detailed background on GTK's event system (i.e.
> the entire control framework with callbacks, marshallers and all the
> associated bells and whistles). I'm sort of hoping that at least there is
> a book or two you might recommend to introduce the principles behind the
> system, but some personal information would be much appreciated.

My book has some info on this, http://developer.gnome.org/doc/GGAD/ -
in particular you want Part 3, on objects and on GDK.

> For those curious, I'm looking for this information for my senior honors
> thesis in CS here at Brown. I'm developing an event-based system for
> doing basically anything with XML. An example of this would be an XML
> editor in which the document tree is updated in real-time, but examples
> could get much more complicated (in which certain manipulations of the
> tree could have program functionality associated with them, or could
> trigger certain manipulations on other trees).

Raph Levien (raph@acm.org) and some others have been fooling around
with DOM trees and events - see the "gdome" module in CVS. This may be
of interest.

Havoc