Re: New gtkpaned look.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 jrb@redhat.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anders Carlsson and I sat down and came up with a new look for gtkpaned,
> that will hopefully make it look both more modern, and more elegant.
> Screenshot is available at:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/jrb/images/for_andersca.png
>
> It basically replaces the handle with 7 dots.  The source, and a patch
> against gtk+ HEAD is available at
>
> http://people.redhat.com/jrb/files/gtksplitter/
>
> What do people think of it?
> Comments???

the behaviour is far nicer than with the old paned in that the whole seperator
is sensitive for movement.
however, i think the dots look a bit poor. i'd rather prefer something like the
old knob there or some taskbar-like handle.
but the paned are owen's pets and so he's to make that decision ;)

a few comments on the patch:

-
-  guint position_set : 1;
-  guint in_drag : 1;
-  guint child1_shrink : 1;
-  guint child1_resize : 1;
-  guint child2_shrink : 1;
-  guint child2_resize : 1;
-
+
+  guint position_set:1;
+  guint in_drag:1;
+  guint child1_shrink:1;
+  guint child1_resize:1;
+  guint child2_shrink:1;
+  guint child2_resize:1;
+

please keep those whitespaces around the colons.

-struct _GtkPanedClass
-{
+struct _GtkPanedClass {
   GtkContainerClass parent_class;
 };

and as owen already pointed out in another mail to andersca, we put
the curly brakets after a newline, and usually leave 'em there ;)
(there are actually very few exceptions to that, such as anonymous enum
definitions or variable initializations)

 enum {
-  ARG_0,
-  ARG_HANDLE_SIZE,
-  ARG_GUTTER_SIZE
+       ARG_0,
+       ARG_HANDLE_SIZE
 };

indentation, use two spaces.

actually the whole rest of the patch is completely reindented at 5 spaces,
which makes it utterly unreadable. please keep the original indentation,
so one can tell from the diff what has changed.

> Thanks,
> -Jonathan

---
ciaoTJ