text widget

Hi,

At Red Hat we needed to evaluate the feasibility of porting the TkText
widget to GTK; the experiment got a bit out of control, and a little
less than a couple weeks later I've almost finished a text widget -
with substantial help from Owen, who hasn't written a line of code in
the widget but has spent hours helping me figure out which lines of
code to write.

The widget isn't yet usable, so this isn't an ANNOUNCE. However it is
within a few days work of alpha-testable, and is kind of fun to play
with now. So I'm putting up a tarball here:

 http://people.redhat.com/~hp/tktext.tar.gz

The tarball also includes the source code to the original TkText
widget.

There's a big README in the tarball with lots of details (read that
first if you have questions), but the executive summary is that this
is a port of the Tk text widget, it has basically the same features as
TkText. I've added as additional features pixel-based scrolling,
multiple widgets displaying the same text buffer (model-view
architecture), GtkObject usage when appropriate, and a nice GTK-style
C API. The "backend" code is all separated out so the GtkWidget
subclass itself does almost nothing, you could trivially re-use all
the "hard parts" code in an editable canvas text item or other kind of
view.

Due to three things dear to the heart of Federico (the model-view
architecture, lack of flicker, and potential for nuking the GtkEntry
editable canvas text item hack), I expect him to go multi-orgasmic as
soon as he tries this widget out. :-)

If you read the README and still have comments/questions, or want to
help out, your email is very welcome.

Havoc