Re: anti-aliasing gdk

"Shawn T . Amundson" <amundson@eventloop.com> writes:
> I honestly haven't looked at libart any yet.  However, in a

I think you can't really add libart on the GDK level because (at least
the way the canvas is written) it looks like you need to keep your
vector paths around; the GDK API would require regenerating the vector
paths each time, which would kill your performance. i.e. you need to
rewrite the widgets to use libart to draw, and you need the
canvas-style drawing model with an "update" concept.

>  1. Replace all X drawing calls with client-side drawing to a
>     RGBA buffer, which is transferred onto a pixmap which is
>     sent to the server.
>
>  2. Use one big Window to get alpha transparency between
>     different GdkWindows, and simulate X's Window. (is this
>     worth it?)
>
> #1 would be easy.
>
> #2 could require basically and emulation of Xlib in a layer between
> libart and GDK.  That could seriously clean up the BeOS port, and
> perhaps the Win32 port, but would be a lot of work.  It could
> potentially make porting GDK to yet-another-platform easier.  (Can
> you emulate one toplevel window, well, you ported GDK...)

Certainly a good long-term plan, but there are lots of steps between
here and there.

Havoc