Gdk-pixbuf

Sorry for these questions. I know this isn't the right place to ask
this, but anyways...

Does anybody know if I can create a preview ( a thumbnail) of a
JPEG image without loading it all and without the image containing a
thumbnailed version of the whole image?

The situation is this: over a network connection can I make a preview of
the image without fully receiving it throught the network, only reading
some data?
And moreover, can I do this with gdk-pixbuf?. I suppose this last
question has the answer no, but anyways....

Thanks in advance...