Re: GTK Toolbars

Erick Woods:

> My point is not about the text adding to the size (although that is rather
> obnoxious, too), but the overall size of a button on a toolbar and the
> height if the toolbar in question.  Reviewing the picture I created shows
> that a standard text toolbar (file, edit, etc...) is 23 pixels high in
> Windows and 26 pixels in height in GNOME.  A graphical button toobar using
> small images in windows is 26 pixels high in Windows and 34 pixels in
GNOME.

   It depends on the application both for Windows and GTK+. On Windows, some
applications such as Visual Studio require 29 pixels for iconic toolbars and
my SciTE editor on GTK+ uses 31 - yes, I didn't like huge toolbars either.
http://www.scintilla.org/SciTEImage.html
   It depends on the size of the images and some of the calls you make when
building the toolbar. Someone else worked out this set of calls for me so
I'm not certain exactly what each does, but I imagine
gtk_container_set_border_width and gtk_toolbar_set_button_relief can be
tweaked to change the room taken up by toolbars:

 gtk_container_set_border_width(GTK_CONTAINER(wToolBar.GetID()), 2);
 gtk_toolbar_set_space_size(GTK_TOOLBAR(wToolBar.GetID()), 17);
 gtk_toolbar_set_space_style(GTK_TOOLBAR(wToolBar.GetID()),
GTK_TOOLBAR_SPACE_LINE);
 gtk_toolbar_set_button_relief(GTK_TOOLBAR(wToolBar.GetID()),
GTK_RELIEF_NONE);

   Other factors that may contribute include the GTK+ theme being used.

   A valid reason for larger toolbars is that display resolution is going up
and features that were designed around an 800x600 screen do need to be
magnified for the larger displays such as 1280x1024 often used for GTK+
systems.

   Neil