Re: UTF-8 vs. current locale charset

Pavel Machek writes:
 > On linux, all filenames should be passed in utf-8 to kernel (that's
 > only sane solution I know of). Otherwise you get severe problems
 > trying to move ext2 disk to other system.

Umm, but surely the Linux kernel itself doesn't care if file names are
in UTF-8, ISO-8859-2, EUC-JP or whatever, as long as they don't
contain slashes (other than as path component separators) or embedded
NULs?

How common is it that real Linux sites (I am not talking about
personal home machines) use UTF-8 for file names? Wouldn't this cause
interoperability problems if the same files are shared via NFS with
other Unix systems that don't support UTF-8 locales?

--tml