Re: GSet ?

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

> 	What kinds of applications would this be used for?

I would like to use it in Pango, for one. (in the ligation code) It is not
much of a problem if this isn't suitable for glib, I just thought that
maybe others could find it useful...

> 	(There are already the G_POINTER_TO_INT and G_INT_TO_POINTER
> macros for use with the existing data structures, but using those doesn't
> give you the 'range' functionality)

I don't really see an existing data structure there that's suitable. GSet
will have fairly low overhead - in the best case, where the set is
contigous, it uses a single bit for every member of the set, and a few
bytes more. Most operations on a GSet can be O(1).

> -> Would a patch to implement something like this be accepted for glib1.3?
>
> 	Is the structure generally useful, or useful only to a particular
> kind of application?  Seems rather niche, to me...

I don't forsee a great need for, but I think it would be nice to have, to
round out glib's selection of data structures.

--
Robert