Re: notes on combo boxes

> 	2) it handles really long lists poorly (at least on Motif), with
> 	   a cascading menu that's very sensitive - yes, I know, one
> 	   arguably shouldn't *have* long lists on option menus, but
> 	   there's not much I can do to get all the Web designers out
> 	   there not to do that.

	This is the main problem I have with the option menus.  In Motif
Netscape it was very difficult (if not impossible) to select certain
auction categories from ebay's old menus.  They have changed this, but
other sites are still a problem (especially on a small
monitor/resolution). Someone
submitted a GTK patch which made the menus scrollable ala MacOS, it is a
solution to the problem, but I personally still prefer the non-editable
combo box.
	As far as them not being intuitive, this may be true, and maybe a
downward arrow would be a better image than the dash.  Though this isn't
really to big an issue, because I think that people make things intuitive
for themselves (a UNIX user would tell you that a -f command switch it
intuitive :)) and since GTK+ is a fairly widely used toolkit, it will
become intuitive as more people use it.

Sincerely,
Caleb Land
(bokonon@rochester.rr.com)