Re: Glib Regex?

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 02:59:54PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Derek Simkowiak <dereks@kd-dev.com> writes:
>
> > 	I think regex-based searches are a feature that many applications
> > would want, so I'm considering adding some kind of regex-based search to
> > the GtkEtextBuffer API.  However, I don't want to do that unless there is
> > a Glib wrapper for GNU regex.
> >
> > 	So: Has this come up before?  Has any work been done?  Would there
> > be a problem with adding regexes to Glib?  I might be willing to do it if
> > people are interested.
>
> Regular expressions have been proposed a number of times, and the decision
> was made to use the PCRE library, so that we would have nice (perl-style)
> regular expressions.
>
> Scott Wimer (cc'ed) had a pretty-functional start at doing this
>
>   (http://www.cgibuilder.com/code/g_regex/g_regex-1.0.1/src/)
>
> but there were some issues about packaging that we never quite resolved.
>
> Another thing is that it would really be nice to support Unicode - in
> particular UTF-8 in whatever regular expressions we use. Perl 5.6 does
> this quite nicely. However, converting PCRE to handle UTF-8 is a
> moderately big job to do right, so this probably may not going to make
> for GLib-1.4.

The latest is available in cvs:
CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@stemwinder.org:/home/cvs, password anoncvs, module
gregex.

I'd like to throw in my 2 cents for including this.  I'm using it in a
project I'm working on now, and find it quiet handy and intuitive. The code
will probably need to be cleaned up a bit (at least reformatted to gtk
guidelines), but it shouldn't be a big deal.

Ian