The best widget to use for graphics?

Hi everybody

I am developing a graphical maths application, and need to have an image
on the screen that is updated by my math code (which, incidentally, is
in another thread).

After looking around for some info on the net, I couldn't find anything
that would help me decide what widget(s) to use to allow me to do this.
I need a graphics widget that allows fast access to the pixels in it.

The drawing area widget looks good, but I can't find any docs on how to
draw onto it.

So, anybody got any ideas?
--

Jamie Love