Re: Bug Gtk or SGI ? please help ...

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 17:51:24 +0000, Laurent Sauvebois wrote:
> I just changed my machin, to a new SGI Octane R12000 with System 6.5.5,
> and I got an awfull problem !

>From what IRIX version did you upgrade? If you upgraded from an O2 with
6.3 or an Indy with 6.2 or 5.3: those systems use o32 binaries (default);
Octane uses n32 binaries.

> as soon as I use gtk in a program, It becomes impossible for me to use
> purify or gdb.

No problem here with a dual R10000 MXI Octane running IRIX 6.5.3. I don't
have purify, but gdb runs without problems. However, I compiled GTK (using
gcc 2.8.1) on that same Octane.

> example :
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <gtk/gtk.h>
>
> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
> {
>   GtkWidget *window;
>
>   printf(" glop 1 \n");
>
>   gtk_init (&argc, &argv);
>
>   window = gtk_window_new (GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
>
>   printf(" glop  2 \n");
>
> }
>
> ****************************
>
> Problem  1 : PURIFY. when i run the program (test.c is compiled with cc,
> purify is still incompatible with gcc ) :
>
>       SIG: Signal handled
>       This is occurring while in:
>             mark_from_block [leaks.c:1604]
>             _exit          [syscalls.c:5478]
>             exit_certain   [fork.c:202]
>             _SGIPT_libc_exit [fork.c:253]
>             ptctl          [libcthread.c:149]
>             __exit         [cuexit.c:60]
>       Received signal 48 (SIGReserved48 - System reserved signal 48)
>       Handler function:
>             sched_handler  [vp.c:243]
>       Signal mask: (SIGReserved48)
>       Pending signals:
>
> and then the program is stopped by purify .... No "glop"  appears :-( !

And if you use unbuffered I/O? Remember that printf is buffered, so use:

 fprintf(stderr, "glop 1\n");

> ****************************
>
> Problem  2 : Gdb, with ddd  ( test.c is compiled with cc OR gcc .....
> same pb)
>
> when i run the program, i got :
>
> Starting program: /usr/people/laurent/test/test.c
> warning: Signal ? does not exist on this system.

Sounds like a gcc compiler compiled on (for example) a 5.3 system and
installed on a 6.4 system. Contrary to popular belief IRIX 6.x is not
downward compatible with IRIX 5.3. IRIX became more POSIX compliant
between 5.3 and 6.x, so some signal numbers changed toward POSIX.

> and then ...... cpu usage at 92% and nothing happens ! also ... no
> "glop" :-( !
>

> ****************************
>
> Conclusion :
>
> Nothing is done in the main ( no "glop"  !)
> But .... with no link with gtk .... everything is working fine .....
>
> Annex :
>
> On system 6.4, I already had the message under ddd, but the program
> still runned.

> What do you think about this .... ?

I think you should recompile GTK on that Octane and try again. Use a
decent compiler: I used gcc 2.8.1 to compile GTK, but gcc 2.95.1 will also
do (and is even better).

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl