Re: Proposal: GLib tests.

Hi, Owen

> > Hi, all
> >
> > Two proposals:
> >
> > 1. Either when doing "make" or "make install", the Makefile should
> >    also
> >    do a "make check". Otherwise there might exist GLib installations
> >    somewhere out there, that just dont work.
>
>  - This slows down building.

Yes, but not much.

>  - I don't know any other packages that automatically do tests
>    (including some with very complete test suites, such as Perl or gcc)

Yes, but there it would slow down the whole thing much. Here it only is
something like 30 seconds.

>  - We'd have to make the g_log tests say:
>
>    HEY! DON'T SUBMIT A BUG REPORT ABOUT THE FOLLOWING!

The tests for 'make check' are not supposed to print anything, so we would
automatically get rid of those bug reports too ;-)

> But in general, I don't think it is necessary. It's not like it is
> typical for GLib to be broken in subtle ways.

I would say, that there are some sublte ways, that GLib could fail. I once got
a bug report regarding the G_MAXLONG etc. macros, that only showed up because
of such a test and especially such things will make error detection for the
user of software, that uses GLib, very hard.

Bye,
Sebastian
--
Sebastian Wilhelmi                   |            här ovanför alla molnen
mailto:wilhelmi@ira.uka.de           |     är himmlen så förunderligt blå