Re: tooltips and DND

Rasca Gmelch wrote:

> hi,
>
> i've a program with some buttons to launch applications.
> every button could have a pixmap and a tooltip to show the
> user which program would be loaded.
>
> if i DND a file over this kind of button the tooltip
> is not shown - in general it works but not in this case.
>
> is that my fault, bug or feature?

It's a feature of the current tooltips implementation. :-(

When a thing is being dragged, the "enter" and "leave" events
that would have arrived at the drop zone and triggered the
tooltip are instead being redirected to the widget that you
dragged from (more or less). Thus the tooltip never knows
you're "there".

In the drag and drop protocol as I remember it, different
events *are* still being sent to the "entered" widget,
specifically ones that say "a droppable thing is over you".
That's so the widget can change shape or otherwise indicate
that it is a drop zone.

If that's how it still works, tooltips MAY be able to trap
these as well, and treat them as enter and leave events,
thus making the stuff "work right".

In any case, the events are being redirected, not lost, so
it is POSSIBLE to implement tooltips (and dnd) such that
this would work, if the time is put in to do it.

At this point, my expertise wanes, and someone with a better
knowledge of what actually goes on should take over.

-Jeff
--
-Jeff Evarts
--jdeassoc@earthlink.net