Re: [gtk-list] Re: Gtk Accessibility for the blind and deaf

On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 02:25:23PM -0500, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:
> > I'm working on a gtk module that you can load with --gtk-module
> > and that will enable a speech interface. I'm using festival right
> > now, but it's easy to add other speech sinthesizers...
>
> Are you interfacing this with any existing speech control systems, or is
> it just speech from each individual gtk application?
>
> > This will automatically enable every gtk app to produce
> > speech feedback for blind users.
>
> But is there a governor between different applications, or are they all
> just producing speech feedback by themselves?

They call a function ( talk(language, text)): right now the text
is spoken with festival: more advanced control can be added easily
using a custom written speech server.

> > There is, however, another thing that must be implemented
> > and working in every app for them to be usable by blinds:
> > keyboard navigation and complete keyboad control of the application.
>
> Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt, but remember that the concept of
> "navigation" can break down fairly quickly, and synthesizing focus changes
> is perhaps the simplest task that a speech agent might have to perform.
> Better to have a well defined concept of control order first, and build
> navigation on top of that.

I was talking about the ability to use the application without the mouse:
this is a must as a mouse is almost useless for the blind.

lupus

--
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
    - _The UNIX Programmer's Manual_, Second Edition, June, 1972.