Plans for 1.3/1.4

Owen Taylor writes:
 >  4) Integration of Tor Lillqvist's Win32 port.

Any ideas on how to organise the window-system specific versions of
GDK in the source tree? Apparently CVS doesn't handle renaming of
directories nicely, so it would be easiest to keep the current (X11)
version in gtk+/gdk, and make a new directory gtk+/gdk-win32 for the
Win32 version.

In order to handle inclusions of <gdk/gdkx.h> and <gdk/gdkprivate.h>
in various source files, I guess the gdkx.h and gdkprivate.h files
would have to be still in the gdk (X11) directory, and contain also
Win32 stuff. Hmm.

Probably there should be a file gdkconfig.h (like glibconfig.h), that
contains platform-specific definitions that should be available to
application programs also, and not only while compiling gdk or gtk?

gdkconfig.g would tell us what windowing system we use. gdkx.h and
gdkprivate.h could then include the Win32 specific versions from
../gdk-win32 if compiling for Win32 GDI.

Another thing: (I asked about this on gimp-developer, only one reply
which supported that verbose form.) What would be the best feature
test macros to use for testing X11 vs Windows GDI API (or BeOS, or
Mac, whetever)? I now use X_DISPLAY_MISSING (which autoconf seems to
support, at least to some extent) and WINDOWS_DISPLAY.

Would it be cleaner (more orthogonal) to use something like
	#if GDK_WINDOWING_API == GDK_WINDOWING_API_X11
	#elif GDK_WINDOWING_API == GDK_WINDOWING_API_WIN32
	#elif GDK_WINDOWING_API == GDK_WINDOWING_API_BEOS

etc? (Or is that too verbose?) (There is not much code in gtk+/gtk
that needs conditional compilation.)

--tml