Re: New 'GObject' as base for GtkObject?

Guillaume Laurent <glaurent@worldnet.fr> writes:

> Tim Janik <timj@gtk.org> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Karl Nelson wrote:
> >
> > > I think this is definitly the right track.  But is does miss
> > > one of Guillaume's points, consistancy.  It is not necessary to
> > > work in a language that forces it, but if a simple macro format
> > > converted a base format (like the gtkprocess header generator)
> > > was provided it would at least ensure the object system was
> > > easier to use and more consistantly applied.
> >
> > hum, i don't think i understand what you are talking about here
> > (though i haven't paid close attention to all of guillaume's posts
> > because of language bashing that went on there).
>
> May I suggest that you read them again, and try to see my point ? Or
> tell me where you fell I'm lending myself to "language bashing", so I
> can perhaps clarify things a little.
>
> The only thing I'm bashing is abuse of a language. It's just common
> sense, really. Nothing inflamatory.

Sigh. What is "common sense" to one person is sometimes the most
inflamatory stuff.

Anyways, the point is:

 Fundamental Ground Rule #1 of gtk-devel:

  gtk-devel is about the development of GTK+

 Fundamental Ground Rule #2 of gtk-devel:

  GTK+ will not be rewritten in a different language

As a consequence, describing the advantages of C++ or Java over C and
the GtkObject system, (or the advantages of C and the GtkObject system
over C++ and Java) is completely off-topic here.

This list is not about using GTK+, so even if your point is
"using gtk-- is the easiest way to program with GTK+" ... a point
that might (possibly) be on-topic on a different GTK+ list,
it is off-topic here.

And spending time on such off-topic stuff tends to distract from
other (on-topic) parts of your message, which could include:

 - Concrete suggestions as to how GtkObject could be improved by
   incorporating extra features that C++ or Java has.

 - Concrete suggestions as to how How GtkObject could be improved to
   work better with C++ and Java.